"collude" = "create cutting-edge work with an avant-garde artist"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat May 11 18:58:53 UTC 2013

And for those wanting to know more, there's always wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Mead%27s_Ass

But I kind of like the way Martin puts it, whether or not "ass" really is off-limits for the Gray Lady in the fundamental rather than donkey-referential sense.  After all, once "derrière" had been referenced earlier in the piece, "though the Anglo-Saxon term was used instead of the French" is nicely allusive compared with e.g. "the English word 'ass' was used in place of 'derrière'"; it rewards the reader for doing a little extra inferencing, which never hurts anyone.

LH