"jew" as adjective and compound nouns vs. adj. + n.?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue May 14 16:33:50 UTC 2013

Is "Jew butcher" a compound -- "a butcher of Jews"?? -- or an adj. +
noun -- "a Jewish butcher"?  (Compare "Jew-drowning" under C2, which
I do see as a compound -- it can't be "Jewish drowning".)  Similarly
for "Jew pedlar", and probably others.  The OED seems either to
concede or be uncertain -- "C1. General attrib. *or as adj.* That is
a Jew; *Jewish*."  (Emphasis added.)

Is there a case for separation of the C1.a compounds, for all of
which it seems that "Jew" acts like an adjective and could be
replaced by "Jewish", from the C1.b. compounds, where that is not the
case?  E.g., a "Jew bill" (in C1.b) is not "a Jewish bill", but
rather "a bill 'Of or relating to Jews.' "

But if Larry is right, how then would one make the OED more
user-friendly?  If sophisticated dictionary users like myself and
George don't think to look for adjectival uses of nouns under (the
late-appearing) "Compounds", -- and especially when a "Quick search"
doesn't turn up any entries with "adj." characterizing them, just
"n." and "v." -- what about the ordinary yahoo?

Joel