Another immaculate conception

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 19 20:52:35 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_birth_of_Jesus: "The virgin birth of
> Jesus is the belief that Jesus was conceived in the womb of his mother
> Mary by the Holy Spirit and born while Mary remained a virgin."

Close enough for government work. Unless, before the very first letter of
the ariicle is visible, there appears the word, _Imprimatur_, followed by
the name of a bishop. If that's the case, then Wikipedia's definition meets
the requirements of Catholic theology, whether Redd Foxx, Bill Maher, or
the Archbishop of Canterbury was the author.

But note that there is no reference to the Immaculate Conception of Mary in
connection with either the conception of Jesus or the virgin-birth of jesus.

Catholic theology isn't necessary to make the colloquial use of "immaculate
conception" funny. All you need is knowledge of the detergent-commercial
sense of "immaculate," the notion that fucking is "dirty," and the meaning
of "conception" in the missed-period sense.

--
-Wilson
-----