New fieldwork for DARE

Joan H. Hall jdhall at WISC.EDU
Tue May 21 22:21:47 UTC 2013

DARE has received a grant from NEH to do a pilot study in Wisconsin to
test a new Questionnaire and a new methodology for a second round of
nationwide fieldwork.

This time we won't be using Word Wagons--instead, the survey will be
conducted online. We are working with the University of Wisconsin Survey
Center to develop the method, and we will include a recorded telephone
interview to collect phonological data for comparison with the original
DARE recordings.

We plan to omit questions for practices that are now obsolete (farming
with oxen, kinds of sleigh, etc) and add questions that reflect changes
in our society over the last 50 years.

We've developed a first draft of the set of new questions, and we invite
you to take a look at them to provide suggestions for the wording, for
additional possible responses, and new questions you think ought to be
asked.

If you're interested in doing this, email me at jdhall at wisc.edu and I'll
send you the draft.

We'll appreciate your help.