Sociosexual politics and the Google algorithm for constructing synonym sets

Sat May 25 02:16:52 UTC 2013

BuzzFeed has an article about the controversial results of a Google search:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/google-search-equates-gayest-with-worst

A spokesman for Google said the following:

[Begin excerpt]
Google’s results, including when a search term is synonymized with
another, are a reflection of content on the web and how people search.
These results are determined by algorithms and we don’t manually
correct this process, but we are always looking at how we can improve
our algorithms.
[End excerpt]