Q: "lanechtskipt" -- perhaps "lanDechtskip[e]t"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 11 22:07:24 UTC 2013

At 11/11/2013 03:45 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Spanbock beat me to it.
>
>I suspect it was a fake beast with a fanciful name.

Perhaps, although the accompanying lion was certainly real.  (I don't
know what a spotted "whight hare", the third animal in the list,
might have been.  And that spelling certainly leaves room for
misspelling of the "lanechtskipt".)  But then, the equally puzzling
and interesting question is, what was the name fancied up
from?  (Additionally, the only documented exotic animals exhibited in
Boston through 1735 were lions, camels, and polar bears.)

>People were more easily entertained back then.

True, but sophisticated animal-fakers were probably much rarer in
Boston in 1735 than in London.

Joel