ADS-L Digest - 10 Nov 2013 to 11 Nov 2013 (#2013-314)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Nov 12 17:16:55 UTC 2013

At 11/12/2013 08:21 AM, Amy West wrote:
>On 11/12/13 12:07 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>>Date:    Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:37:42 -0500
>>From:    "Joel S. Berson"<Berson at ATT.NET>
>>Subject: Re: Q: "lanechtskipt"
>>
>>As I will note in a later message, my blunder.  It is indeed "bare"
>>-- and probably meant as a plural -- although incorrectly, since
>>black and white bears are different species.  (If it's singular, I
>>can only imagine that the polar bear of this list was seen as having
>>some brown in its hair.)
>>
>>Joel
>Why can't "black & whight bare" be a panda bear?
>
>---Amy West

I do not know anyone who writes about exotic animals in America who
mentions a panda bear being in Boston in 1735.

Wikipedia, "Giant panda: / Western discovery":  "The West first
learned of the giant panda on 11 March 1869, when the French
missionary Armand David[42] received a skin from a hunter. The first
Westerner known to have seen a living giant panda is the German
zoologist Hugo Weigold, who purchased a cub in 1916. Kermit and
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., became the first Westerners to shoot a
panda, on an expedition funded by the Field Museum of Natural History
in the 1920s. In 1936, Ruth Harkness became the first Westerner to
bring back a live giant panda, a cub named Su Lin[55] which went to
live at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago."

Joel