Quote about an hourglass by Jean Paul Richter - Request help with German

Fri Nov 15 16:08:28 UTC 2013

Dear ADSLers: On the Wombats mailing list a request was made to trace
a quotation that has been attributed to  Machiavelli. A list member
presented evidence that connected the expression to "Jean Paul", a
pseudonym of Johann Paul Friedrich Richter.

Perhaps a person who can read German can help with the questions posed
further below.

First, here is an instance of the saying in English in 1837. The
expression was attributed to Jean Paul in the title of the article:
"Original Translations: Scraps from Jean Paul".

[ref] 1837 May 13, New-York Mirror: A Weekly Journal, Devoted to
Literature and the Fine Arts, Volume XIV, Number 46, Original
Translations: Scraps from Jean Paul, Quote Page 362, Column 2, New
York. (Google Books full view) (Metadata supplied for this match by
Google is inaccurate; This data is from the page images)[/ref]

http://books.google.com/books?id=Z31NAAAAYAAJ&q=%22hour+glass+of%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
The more sand has escaped from the hour-glass of our life, the clearer
we should see through it.
[End excerpt]

Using Google Translate for iterative guidance I searched for a German
instance of the saying. I think the excerpt below is a German version
of the quotation. The 2003 book credited Jean Paul Dicther instead of
Jean Paul Richter, but the dates of birth and death match the ones
given for "Jean Paul, pseudonym of Johann Paul Friedrich Richter" in
Encyclopedia Britannica.

Title: Trost für Kranke: Lebensweisheiten aus ärztlicher Sicht