Quote attributed to Indira Gandhi about work and credit =?Windows-1252?Q?=96_?=request Times of India search

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 18 02:06:43 UTC 2013

Surprisingly, something relevant does come up on the Times of India database on ProQuest.  Here it is:

Some years ago, she [Indira Gandhi] recalled what Pandit Motilal [spelling of this last word is a little illegible] Nehru once told her:  "There are two kinds of people, those who do the work, and those who take the credit.  Belong to the first category, since not only do things get balanced, but there is much less competition."
"Congress President Sure To Spark New Love of Work: Indira Gandhi," The Times of India, Feb. 8, 1959, page 6 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 12:43 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Quote attributed to Indira Gandhi about work and credit – request Times of India search

ADSLers: On the Wombats mailing list a request was made to trace a
quotation attributed to Indira Gandhi: "My grandfather once told me
that there were two kinds of people, those who do the work and those
who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less
competition there."

This message includes a request to search ProQuest "Times of India".
This newspaper is part of the ProQuest Historical Newspapers
collection. But it is not included in the small "core" collection of
ProQuest newspapers that I can readily access.

All branches of The New York (City) Public library, for example, have
access to a robust collection of ProQuest Historical newspapers that
includes "Times of India". The "information poor" have access to none
of the ProQuest Historical Newspapers databases.

Here is some background on the quotation. Currently, the earliest
strong match I've located appeared in 1947. The words were attributed
to "some philosopher" in a passage written by a Catholic priest in a
Texas newspaper.

[ref] 1947 December 18, Kerrville Mountain Sun, "Catholic Church by
Father Kemper: Election Tonight", Section 2, Quote Page 4, Column 5
and 6, (NArch Page 12), Kerrville, Texas. (NewspaperArchive)(The word
"advise" is used instead of "advice" in the original page image)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Vox populi supreme lex! Let's see if the voice of the people is the
supreme law! Or is it the small active minority who do things in a
democracy? Some philosopher divided mankind into two divisions; those
who accomplish things, and those who take the credit. His advice is to
join the former group, since there is less competition.
[End excerpt]

Currently, the earliest connection to Indira Gandhi I've located was
published in a circa 1966 book. This match was found in Google Books
and is only visible in snippets. I have not verified it on paper yet.

Title: Indira Gandhi: Call to Greatness