a scup; scupping

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 18 20:26:11 UTC 2013

George,

Are you sure that the "round-about" was part of the scup
apparatus?  The quotation says "Attached to this was a 'round-about'
for the amusement of children ...".  To me this reads like the
"round-about" was a separate device, and the specific reference to
"children" ("for the amusement of") as though the "round-about" was
intended for different riders than the "occupants" of the scup.

Before reaching this sentence, I imagined a structure with a
horizontal bar from which hung one or more boat-shaped
carriers,  oriented parallel to the support bar.  So far much like
today's simple playground swing.  Attached to the bow and stern are
ropes, whose upper ends are looped over the support bar and brought
back to but not attached to the boat.  Thus viewed from the side the
boat and ropes form a triangle.  Riders pull on the loose end of the
rope, in alternation, to swing the scup.  (Being a mechanical
engineering dummy, I suppose there are other arrangements that would work.)

As for etymology, the OED says "< Dutch schop".  One might ponder a
boat swaying (rolling) from side to side, and the "occupants" losing
their balance and sliding into the scuppers.  I can visualize two
boys competing to see who can "scup" the other.  (New York City was a
rambunctious locale in the 1800s.)

To confuse the situation, the "scup" is also a fish, the porgy (OED
n2).  Although I suppose the "boat scup" of the swing is not related
to the "scup boat" used for fishing porgy.

Joel