a scup; scupping (attn: Jesse)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 18 22:54:29 UTC 2013

At 11/18/2013 04:19 PM, W Brewer wrote:
>Terugkeer van De Vliegende Hollander!
>JB: <<As for etymology, the OED says" < Dutch schop. One might ponder a
>boat ...>>
>WB: Neem me niet kwalijk, meneer, maar <Schop> betekent 'shovel, *scoop*'
>in de Nederlandse Taal. (Vergelijken met Het Duitse Woord <Schueppe>,
>Franse <e'cope>.)

Excuse me, sir,* but you're telling the wrong person.

Jesse, should the OED reconsider the etymology of "scup, n.1" from
the Dutch?  (The definition remains "swing", as in George's
quotation: "A scup! maybe you don't know it by that name [said Mr.
Van Brunt]; some..folks call it a swing.")

"Scoop" certainly makes sense for the NY neighborhood amusement: a
bucket in which the occupants ride.  But I am then puzzled what the
"boat scups" of another of George's quotation were.

* Google Translate does an excellent job with the Dutch.  Proof that
it's the closest language to English (as well as the closest country
to England)?

Joel