Phrase: happy as a clam; happy as a clam at high water

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 19 05:38:38 UTC 2013

On Nov 18, 2013, at 11:56 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:

> Joel S. Berson wrote:
>> I wonder if 1833 for "happy as a clam" vs. 1836 for "happy as a clam
>> at high water" (or 1828 for "sad as a clam") has any
>> significance.  The dates are very close.  We may just not have found
>> "happy as a clam at high water" earlier.  For me, common sense says
>> "happy as a clam at high water" would come first, as it is logical
>> and explanatory.  And "happy as a clam" developed later, as a
>> shorter, abbreviated phrase.
>
> Thanks for your response, Joel. The viewpoint you expressed accords
> with the consensus, and it does have a surface plausibility. But
> perhaps this viewpoint should be examined with a critical eye.
>
> Consider the framework of suppositions associated with the phrase:
> "happy as a clam at high water". What can one conclude about the
> mental status of the anthropomorphic clam when the water is low? The
> claim would be unhappy and fearful because the high water no longer
> protected it from clam diggers. Hence, the clam would experience a
> regular alternating pattern of happiness and unhappiness.
>
> The phrase: "unhappy as a clam at low water" would be consistent with
> this framework.
>
> Now consider the phrase that was supposedly constructed via
> abbreviation: "happy as a clam". In the framework of the original
> saying this statement is nonsensical. A clam is not uniformly happy.

Leaving aside the merits of the rest of the argument, I don't find this part of it (if seriously intended) compelling.  Assuming those unfamiliar with the process of clamming heard "happy as a clam at high tide/in high water", the modification would have appeared entirely otiose; after all, what (to our landlubber listeners) would the tale of the tide have to do with the bivalve's happiness one way or the other?  So we have opacity (not in the water necessarily) leading to a reanalysis; no more mysterious than Juliet's deep metaphysical puzzle about names and necessity, "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?", turning into a question about having misplaced her beloved-- "Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" (once the meaning of "wherefore" was lost, and the adverb was seen as a fussy synonym for "where").  Or "chile con carne", orig. capsicum with meat, being reanalyzed as a verbose way of referring to "chile", a kind of stew. Or "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" becoming!
  simplified to the current "the proof is in the pudding".  Similar sorts of reanalysis, be it surf, turf, scenery-chewing, or dessert.

LH