suspected Lincoln quote

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Nov 19 23:28:55 UTC 2013

It seems to be a modern rewording.  From Winston Groom, Vicksburg, 1863, p. 83 (2010) (Google Books):  "The unpleasant rumors about him [sc. Grant] and his drinking and "neglect" and "inefficiency" had finally reached Lincoln, who probably saw them for what they were and ordered Halleck, in effect, to "put up or shut up" regarding those charges."

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Barnhart
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:02 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: suspected Lincoln quote

Cable TV had a program on a History Channel about the careers of Grant and
Lee.  In it Lincoln is purported to have written to Grant's superior (???)
upon the latter's complaints of Grant (drinking) that he (the superior)
should "put up or shut up."  Interesting turn of phrase at the hand of a
president.  I haven't found the letter on the Web yet.  The quote doesn't
appear in my Bartlett.  The earliest quote I've found is in eOED (July
1858).  I found one quote from the same year but a month later (August).

Regards,

David

barnhart at highlands.com