Feet first [Was: antedating _six-feet under_]

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 20 22:41:57 UTC 2013

In similar vein--an expression that was once fairly ordinary, but has
been disappearing slowly ever since ambulance chasers made it an
issue--the expression "feet first" seems to be hard to track. The only
dictionary reference I found is Dictionary.com/Random House, which dates
the origin 1945-50, which seems way too late. The usual collocation is
"go out feet first" or "be carried out feet first", often as a threat
from a gangster or a criminal, or a threat by someone to remain in place
unless someone takes them out "feet first". OED has no corresponding
entry (there is a general entry for head/feet first, dating to 1877, but
it's not relevant).

Harold Lloyd had a film 'Feet First' in 1930 (his second talkie,
according to Wiki), which may or may not play on the expression (in this
case, the comedian repeatedly survives). I have not seen the film, but
it may be worth checking out to see if the expression is used. At the
opposite end is the film The Racket (1951) that I watched on AMC
recently. This one uses the phrase quite unambiguously. So the tail end
of the RHD dating is confirmed, but I suspect pre-war origin (perhaps
from gangster movies/stories, although it might date even earlier if
associated with the Western).

IMDB record for The Racket:
http://goo.gl/DG4KS1

A newspaper promo for Lloyd's film here:
http://goo.gl/Nv58NN

The expression is common in other languages, and is clearly 20th
century. It is usually attributed to hospital procedure that required
live patients to be transported head first, while the corpses are
wheeled into the morgue feet first. I'm quite certain that this is still
contemporary practice in Russian hospitals and the equivalent Russian
expression is very much in use. In the US, at some point (late 1970s?),
all patients started being wheeled around feet first in order to allow
them to see where they were going (provided they are conscious). I am
quite certain this was standard practice in the mid-1980s (family
experience in the profession--we talked about this over dinner sometime
in 1983). This did not change the practice of corpses been wheeled
around or carried out feet first. Another explanation is connected to
the way bodies are laid in coffins and then carried out before coffin is
closed, in which case, it might be antedated even earlier, as the
customary direction of carrying coffins is much older. Either way, the
expression appears to have been on the decline. More recent threats
sound more like, "I'm not leaving! They'd have to carry me out!", which
doesn't quite have the sting of "They'd have to carry me out feet first!".

Here are a couple of pre-1945 expression from Google News Archives.

New York Times - Apr 28, 1944
> "I've been fired before, but this is the first time they ever carried
> me out feet first," Sewell Avery, chairman of the board of Montgomery
> Ward Co.,

New York Times - Oct 9, 1943
> In the staccato but persuasive language of Chicago's gangland
> "syndicate," anybody who resigns from that organization "resigns feet
> first."

These two are behind a paywall, so I have not verified them. But the use
of the expression is unambiguous.

The second, earlier one is more tenuous.

http://goo.gl/H7JdZu
Lawrence Journal-World - Dec 7, 1939. p. 12/5
Goes Out Feel First
> W. L. Miller was ejected bodily, feet first, from the chairman's
> office of the Georgia highway department today for the second time
> since Gov. E. D. Rivers ordered him dismissed as road chairman.

Here, Mr. Miller, a life-long friend of the governor, got into an
argument with Rivers over diversion of funds to other projects and
Rivers fired Miller. The story describes Miller returning into his
office an starting a fight, before being ejected, along with his
brother. No one died, but the title seems to be suggestive, as if Miller
might have boasted that he'd have to be carried out feet first rather
than leave the office. It seems quite unlikely that the expression would
have been used twice like that in the AP story if it were not
tongue-in-cheek.

Having thus been limited by various Google searches, I turned to AHN
(through the Boston Public Library, so I can't offer links). This one
struck gold all the way back to 1843.