Conditional imperfection

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Nov 21 17:12:47 UTC 2013

Indeed I do remember that talk. I remember you illustrating entailments with Venn diagrams. One had A as a subset of P; one had P as a subset of A; all this so you could get a laugh when you casually talked about "whether A-ness implies P-ness, or P-ness implies A-ness."

Neal

________________________________
 From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: Conditional imperfection

Certainly "only if", by virtue of its presupposition, is a lot closer to "if and only if" than simple "if" conditionals are.  Even though we often move from e.g. "If you mow the lawn I'll give you $5" to "If and only if you mow the lawn I'll give you $5" (Geis & Zwicky's "invited inference", which Neal will recall my discussing at OSU at a talk in Arnold's honor back in the previous millennium), this if-->iff "conditional perfection" (whence Neal's subject line) amounts to a context-dependent implicature rather than a presupposition and is much easier to slough off.

LH