Last Plea for Most Notable Quotations of 2013

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 24 19:58:35 UTC 2013

Another possibility would be something from the diplomatic opening
with Iran -- either from the conclusion of the nuclear deal, or
earlier on, when Obama and Rouhani started talking. Notably, the
details of the historic phone call in September showed up in Rouhani's
Twitter feed, at least before the tweets were deleted:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/details-of-conversation-with-obama-deleted-from-twitter-account-in-rouhanis-name/

Perhaps one of the deleted tweets would be appropriate, such as "I
express my gratitude for your #hospitality and your phone call. Have a
good day Mr President."

One more thought: The Book Title of the Year may be Sheryl Sandberg's
_Lean In_. One could make a case for "lean in" being a nominee for
QOTY, and even WOTY (or at least Phrasal Verb of the Year, like
"double down" in 2012 or "man up" in 2010).

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/leaning-back-to-look-at-lean-in/

--bgz

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> I need to get serious about finalizing my annual list, run by the Associated Press,
> of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By “notable” I mean “important”
> or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily
> being eloquent or admirable.  Last year's winner was Mitt Romney's quote about the
> 47 per cent.  Because this is not an election year or year-before-election year, the most
> notable quotations are less obvious, which is why I particularly could use help this year.
>
> I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2013, particularly ones from
> politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.
>
> Some of the quotations I am already considering for 2013 are:
>
> Pope Francis on "who am I to judge" and focus of Catholic Church on certain issues
>
> David Ortiz on Boston marathon bombing
>
> President Obama on people losing their health insurance
>
> President Obama on Trayvon Martin
>
> Wayne LaPierre on good guys stopping bad guys
>
> Edward Snowden on "I don't want to live in a world ..."
>
> Hillary Clinton on "What difference does it make?"
>
> Fred Shapiro

Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/