eVitation

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Nov 28 12:32:16 UTC 2013

On Nov 28, 2013, at 4:27 AM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 6:33 AM, David Barnhart wrote:
>>
>> Happy Thanksgiving!  And, Happy Hanukkah.  I received just yesterday and
>> invitation to a reception at the Annual Meeting of the Friends of the
>> Poughkeepsie Public Library.  In the "from box" of the e-mailed announcement
>> was the word _eVitation_.  I haven't found much evidence of it yet.
>>
>> Since mankind will be extinct by the next go-round for _Thanksgivukkah_,
>> perhaps it might qualify for "least likely to succeed" in the WOTY
>> deliberations.
>
> "E(-)vite", on the other hand, has succeeded well enough to enter
> Oxford Dictionaries:
>
> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/e-vite
>
> It's been in use as a trademark for quite some time -- Wikipedia says
> Evite.com was launched in 1998.

from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evite
Evite is a social-planning website for creating, sending, and managing online invitations.
Evite was launched in 1998. The website is a free, advertisement-supported service.
... An event organizer creates an online invitation through the website via a simple interface. This online invitation is colloquially referred to as "an Evite". The host enters e-mail addresses of prospective guests and Evite sends e-mails to the guests. Each guest is in one of four categories: "Attending", "Not Attending", "Maybe", and "Not yet replied". Guests move themselves from the "Not yet replied" category to one of the three "replied" categories and can write additional comments.