Antedating of "Nihilist"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 1 21:03:42 UTC 2013

My sense of the 18th century is that Dan is probably right,
considering the quotation's list of religions.  Probably all somewhat
disreputable except for the Episcopalians.  So " of most of these
classes a considerable number are Nihilists."

A little more context would help.  Does the writer sound like a
Church of England adherent?  Is the place these classes are coming to
(my guess) Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)?

Joel