Proverb: A Friend to all, is a Friend to none.

Wed Oct 2 01:04:31 UTC 2013

JL: I appreciate your help. Thank you very much for searching EEBO.

Here is an update. Dictionary of Proverbs by George Latimer Apperson
points to "Diogenes Laertius, V i" for the Aristotle ascription. Maybe
the statement below attributed to Aristotle is supposed to be
equivalent to the modern proverb: A friend to all, is a friend to
none.

Lives of the Eminent Philosophers/Book V by Diogenes Laertius,
Section: Aristotle
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Lives_of_the_Eminent_Philosophers/Book_V

[Being excerpt]
Favorinus in the second book of his Memorabilia mentions as one of his
habitual sayings that "He who has friends can have no true friend."
Further, this is found in the seventh book of the Ethics.
[End excerpt]

Apparently there is a citation in 1623 but the phrasing is different.
A Dictionary of American Proverbs claims a cite in 1623. But the
correct wording is probably given in the 1907 citation further below.

Google Books has "The Spared Houres of a Soldier in His Travels" in
"No Preview" mode which might mean it is a reprint.

Do you know of EEBO  has "The Spared Houres of a Soldier" by Wodroephe?

Title: A Dictionary of American Proverbs
Author: Wolfgang Mieder, Stewart A. Kingsbury, Kelsie B. Harder
Year: 1992
(Google Books preview)
http://books.google.com/books?id=AbJ1tVGmiTgC&q=%22to+nobody%22#v=snippet&
[Being excerpt]
A friend to all is a friend to none. Vars.:
(a) A friend to everyone is a friend to nobody.
(b) Everybody's companion is nobody's friend.
Rec. dist.: U.S., Can. 1st cit.: 1623Wodroephe , Spared Houres of
Soldier. 20c. coll.: ODEP 290,Stevenson 890:6.
[End excerpt]

Year: 1907
Title: English Proverbs and Proverbial Phrases
Author: William Carew Hazlitt (W. Carew Hazlitt)
Publisher: Reeves and Turner, London
[Begin excerpt]
All men's friend, no man's friend. w.

Or, who hath many friends hath none at all. "Some tymes most true,
because Friends are so euill (now a Dayes), that a Thousand can scarce
affoord one good - Wodroephe, 1623.
[End excerpt]

Garson