"I could carve a better man out of a banana"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 2 01:38:42 UTC 2013

T. Roosevelt was quoted earlier: "McKinley has no more backbone than a chocolate eclair!" (Harry T. Peck, Twenty Years of the Republic (1906)).

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:47 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "I could carve a better man out of a banana"

Thanks Jon for posting an interesting saying. The YBQ quotation
mentioned the metaphorical backbone of a banana:

[Being excerpt]
I could carve out of a banana a Justice with more backbone than that.
Quoted in Silas Bent, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes (1932)
[End excerpt]

There are multiple examples in books and newspapers of passages
referencing the backbone of a banana before 1932. The Roosevelt
attributed quotation above added the extra element of carving the
banana.

Here is an example in 1900: