TIME and the new island

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 5 02:23:08 UTC 2013

I thought that "dumbing-down" was the process of reducing the supposedly
"complex" to the supposedly "simple," my peevest example of this being the
shift of

"_least_ common denominator"

"_lowest_ common denominator"

as though this meaninglessly-trivial change somehow "simplified" this
concept, thereby  opening broad, new vistas of mathematical understanding
in the minds of the children of the lower orders.

But, using "about 250 ft. _long_" in place of "about 250 ft. _in diameter_"
is not a simple dumbing down.

--
-Wilson
-----