"steal (someone's) thunder", 1858; OED 1900--

Sat Oct 5 16:27:59 UTC 2013

Here is Fred's information in the Yale Books of Quotations:

[Begin excerpt]
John Dennis
English writer, 1657–1734

[Upon hearing thunder sound effects invented by him used in a
performance ofMacbeth,after his own play featuring the effects had
closed following a short run at the same theater, 1709:] They will not
have my play, yet steal my thunder. Quoted in A New and General
Biographical Dictionary new ed. (1798). Alexander Pope, The Dunciad
(note to book 2) (1729), quotes Dennis: ‘‘S’death! that is my
thunder!’
[End excerpt]