"troll" and other words with two mommies?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 5 18:32:11 UTC 2013

Relevant here, I think, is Connie Eble's "Slang: Etymology, Folk
Etymology and Multiple Etymology" (SECOL Review 10, 1986), also
incorporated in _Slang & Sociability_ (1996). Connie applies Roger
Wescott's notion of "lexical polygenesis" to consider how "multiple
etymology" seems to be at play in the history of many slang items.
Michael Adams refers to Connie's work in _Slayer Slang_ (though he
prefers "mixed etymology"), and I believe Ron Butters also cites it in
his _Dictionaries_ paper on "X sucks."

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/