forty-five = Jew?

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Oct 9 13:37:37 UTC 2013

My first guess was that it was related to Hebrew counting. As many of you know, every Hebrew letter has a numerical value, and 45 would be mem heh ('m', 'h'). But if that refers somehow to antisemitism I don't know how.
The status of 18 as a lucky number in (at least) Ashkenazic Judaism is based on the fact that 18 is Het yud (ħ j), which spells 'life'. And there are other examples, but I can't make sense of this one. Maybe someone with more imagination can get somewhere.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.