Fun with phrases: "It felt good, it felt right!"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 15 13:48:48 UTC 2013

I noticed this in a Dilbert TV cartoon, about as follows: "I loved
destroying lives and dreams! It felt good, it felt right!"  (The run-on
comma is to indicate that there was no pause or thought between clauses.)

I knew I'd heard the phrase a number of times before, but where?

Beats me, but here's the earliest  I've been able to trace it:

1976 _The Business of Publishing: A PW Anthology_ (London: Bowker, 1976)
169 [GB]: Mrs. Karpf had great faith in the book. "It had the pulse," she
says now. "It felt good, it felt right."

GB indicates real popularity beginning in the '80s.

The evil animated character was notable for sounding exactly like Jack
Nicholson. A film quote?

JL