Horganing

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 16 04:25:58 UTC 2013

It should come as no surprise that the lasted important sports
achievement comes with a new verb/gerund.

This time, however, it is not named after any professional athlete, good
or bad.

http://goo.gl/TDSbaZ
> For a city that has embraced its first responders in the wake of the
> Boston Marathon bombings, it seems appropriate that a photo of a
> Boston police officer with his arms raised, standing in the Red Sox's
> bullpen celebrating David Ortiz's eighth-inning grand slam as Torii
> Hunter tumbled over the outfield wall, will go down as the iconic
> image of Boston's dramatic Game 2 victory Sunday night.
> "I couldn't even hear myself it was so loud," Steve Horgan, a South
> Walpole, Mass., native and 27-year veteran of the Boston police force,
> told ESPNBoston.com. "I can't believe it. I don't know what to think.
> I can't believe it. It was an awesome feeling."

Note the name. It should come as no surprise, then, that the news
programs in Boston have been boosting the local viral word of the day:
Horganing. And it wasn't just local news.

http://goo.gl/p92G7p
Topsy-turvy baseball moment made 'Horganing' a thing in Boston - What
will be Detroit's thing?
> But it's made Boston Police officer Steve Horgan famous and gave Red
> Sox fans a hashtag to rally behind.
> Photos the four side-by-side, vertical limbs now have people all over
> Boston putting their arms in the air and calling it "Horganing."

http://goo.gl/5ndE2I
'Horgan-ing' takes baseball and online world by storm
> People are getting quite creative, editing the image to make it appear
> as if Horgan was celebrating the royal baby, riding splash mountain,
> selling houses, and holding a local radio sport talker's head.
> The "hands-up" gesture is even being referred to as "Horgan-ing."

http://goo.gl/LWlDzH
'Horganing' a big hit after Red Sox slam
> Photos captured Horgan's raised arms next to the upturned legs of
> Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter, who tumbled over the short wall into
> the Fenway Park bullpen in an unsuccessful attempt to catch the ball.
> The result: a flood of media attention and a new name for his joyous,
> hands-up gesture: "Horganing."

http://goo.gl/cQUzvz
Horganing spreads
> Naturally, this became a meme in roughly 5 seconds and now it's
> everywhere - although there seems to be some disagreement on whether
> Horganing requires somebody to be up-ended in front of you. Some early
> examples: [followed by a string of photo memes]

http://goo.gl/H0LM42
'Horgan-ing' takes baseball and online world by storm

Most links do come from Boston (three network-associated channels posted
their news stories online with "Horganing" in the headline), but it's
clearly a story in Michigan and appears to have been recognized
nationally. I suppose, we should not expect this one to stick around
beyond the World Series even if the Red Sox win out. But you never know...

     VS-)