to house = to eat

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 23 14:17:23 UTC 2013

On Oct 23, 2013, at 9:51 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> If I had to guess, I'd say it's informed by the sense of "house"
> meaning "destroy or defeat completely." This 2002 Urban Dictionary
> entry for "housed" may help:
>
> http://housed.urbanup.com/7158623
> A shockingly complete and enthusiastic consumption.
> - Laura musy have been hungry, she totally housed that meat.
> - There is nothing left, Jess housed it all.
>
> Cf. other ways of expressing voracious eating, e.g. "go to town on."
>
> --bgz

No relation, I expect, with the perhaps now defunct slang participle "housed" = 'inebriated' which turned up in profusion in my students' new word journals a decade ago and which I was informed was pronounced to rhyme with "doused" rather than "roused".  I never did figure out what the etymology of that one was.  Too bad that now there's no longer any college slang term for '(to be) drunk' ;-)

LH