"mnemonic possession" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 25 17:32:17 UTC 2013

At 10/25/2013 11:36 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:49 AM, "Mullins, Bill CIV (US)"
><william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
>
> > So, what other things have you memorized from a song?  I'm aware of (but
> > haven't learned):
> > Lehrer's song about the elements
> > Animaniacs songs of state capitals and countries
>
>i can't believe that anyone has ever learned the names of the
>elements from Tom Lehrer's song.  it's a tour de force, but not
>really usable as a mnemonic,

Some people (such as those with savant syndrome) have prodigious
memories, perhaps particularly musicians.  While not the best
authority, see "Monk" --  not just the eponymous character but also
especially Kevin Dorfman, who seems to be able to replay his entire
past life -- and also inflict it in slow motion on everyone else.

Joel