"Miss" vs. "Ma'am"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 26 19:01:03 UTC 2013

All I can say is that  in NYC in the '50s and '60s, *all* women were
addressed by clerks, bus drivers, and servers as "miss." Bus drivers, at
least, used "lady" as well. My wife confirms my recollection.

When I moved to Tennessee in the mid-'70s, "ma'am" in such situations
actually struck me as affected. Or something.

When we visited the UK, my wife was consistently addressed as "madam."
Though she knew better, she found it vaguely condescending.

JL