Dating of "geek chic"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 2 08:56:34 UTC 2013

geek chic (ODO undated)

Usenet, 17 November 1993:

[Begin]
Didn't see this, but on a similar note, a friend and I (both Newton owners)
have been sorely tempted by the "miner" type headbands which strap a light
to your forehead, which could then be directed at Newton. Geek chic?
[End]

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.newton.misc/p69E_FpD0dk/MwfQ7Z2Fm5wJ

Usenet, 7 January 1994:

[Begin]
Thank-you for that eye-witness account from a real Microsurfer. Been waiting
days for that. I happen to know Doug Coupland personal. He's quite a gas. A
brilliant art school grad in the mid-80s, he's worked in Italian fashion
houses, Japanese bubble zines, and visual arts - wonderful sculpture for
children. He also has a fabulous small collection of Queen Anne silver.
What I wonder, did they retouch those shoulders in the cover photo to make
them seem even more narrow than they really are?

Yeah geek chic.
[End]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.wired/9ZXG4qld25Y

Here's the cover: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.01/

Microserfs was a short story published in this edition of Wired about life at Microsoft, which he subsequently expanded to a full-length novel.

Hugo