tent-pissing follow-up

Wed Sep 4 01:42:59 UTC 2013

Thanks to Joel and LH for an intriguing citation. Here is a somewhat
shorter link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_ERhV58kkFIC&q=pissing#v=snippet&

The book "Eisenhower and Churchill: the partnership that saved the
world" by James C Humes was published first in 2001 according to
WorldCat. Note that the author does not state that Lloyd George used
the expression. Instead the author says George's "argument was a
variation of the Arab proverb".

Indeed, it is possible that this is not an "Arab proverb". It might
simply be a modern saying that mentions a camel.

The version of the saying with a urinating camel in a tent may have
been constructed after LBJ's saying was already in circulation. The
citation below suggests that the camel-version of the saying was based
on the LBJ saying.

Periodical: Time
Article: Prelude to a putsch (cover story)
Author: S. Talbott
Date September 2, 1991
Volume: 138
Issue: 9
Page: 50
Database: Academic Search Premier EBSCO

[Begin excerpt]
One of Gorbachev's aides, fluent in the earthy idiom of American
politics, paraphrases a favorite line of Lyndon Johnson's: "Mikhail
Sergeyevich felt it was better to have the camels inside the tent
pissing out than outside the tent pissing in. He wanted to keep them
where he could see them and where they would have to take his orders.
{end excerpt]

Garson