"kibosh" and politics [and current state thereof]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 4 16:08:05 UTC 2013

Don't we have enough evidence now to:

1)  Antedate the OED's 1836-- for "kibosh" ("dispose of finally")
perhaps to 1829 or 1830 ("courbash"; although these may perhaps mean
only the whip) and definitely to 1834 and 1835?

I suppose there could be an argument that Stephen's 1834 citation is
a figurative use (and variant spelling) of "kourbash", the whip.

2)   Assert that the etymology of "kibosh" is from "kourbash |
koorbash" ("a whip"), replacing the OED2's "Origin obscure. (It has
been stated to be Yiddish or Anglo-Hebraic: see N. & Q. 9th ser. VII. 10.)"?

By the way, I note that these Whigs must not have been puritan
dissenters.  The latter, enjoined by the Bible, would only have
permitted up to 40 lashes, not 300 (at least for a single offense).

Joel