Saying: The man who drinks whiskey before he is forty is a fool . . .

Wed Sep 4 19:42:22 UTC 2013

Great! Thank you very much for taking the time to search for the
expression, Hugo.

The entry on the QI website has now been updated, and I added the
following statement to the acknowledgement section: Special thanks to
correspondent Hugo who located the 1900 citation.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/08/31/drink-fifty/

Thanks for helpfully pointing to the saying "A fool at forty is a fool
indeed". I did come across the expression during my original search.
It is listed in The Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs and the Yale Book of
Quotations. The Oxford reference lists a precursor in 1557. What to
include in a post is a subjective decision, and I decided to omit the
proverb for now.

Also, thanks to Victor for his response.

Garson