Repartee: Oscar Wilde: I wish I had said that. James Whistler: You will, Oscar, you will

Thu Sep 5 19:30:18 UTC 2013

A popular anecdote states that James McNeill Whistler (or somebody)
made a humorous remark and the following statements were exchanged:

Oscar Wilde: I wish I had said that.
James McNeill Whistler: You will, Oscar, you will

The Yale Book of Quotations has a citation in 1907. Fred later shared
a great citation dated April 4, 1892 in the Yale Alumni magazine.

The QI website now has an exploration of the topic with citations
starting in May 1887:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/05/oscar-will/

Feedback, encomiums, and interesting citations welcome,
Garson