"hedge in the cuckoo"

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Sep 9 22:21:29 UTC 2013

The quotations are from EEBO.

Numerous written and oral versions and variants of the little narrative exist.  An old collection and study was John Edward Field's _Myth of the Pent Cuckoo_ (1913).  (No modern folklorist would use the term "myth" that way.)

Folklorists refer to the incident as Type 1213 and Motif J1904.2.  (For the sake of brevity!)

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 5:40 PM

Thanks for sharing that intriguing information, Charlie. Are those
citations available in a searchable database online?

The entry for "Wise Men of Gotham" in the 1910 Encyclopaedia
Britannica included an interesting variant of the tale. The Gothamite
villagers did not use a hedge to entrap the cuckoo; instead, they
joined hands in a perimeter surrounding the bird. The date for this
story was not clear in the encyclopedia entry.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3iEqAAAAYAAJ&q=thornbush#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
As typical of the Gothamite folly is usually quoted the story of the
villagers joining hands round a thornbush to shut in a cuckoo so that
it would sing all the year.
[End excerpt]

Garson