nine yards as a measurement for a fancy dress

Sun Sep 15 14:10:39 UTC 2013

There are two English folk songs that mention "nine yards" when
discussing a very fancy dress: "a fine silken gown, Nine yards all
a-dropping to the ground". Also, "a nice silken gown, Nine yards long
to drag all on the ground."

The opulent dresses are gifts designed to impress a lady. The songs
were published by an English Folklore Society in 1905. Based on these
songs the connotations for "nine yards" would be: the most impressive,
the most complete, the total package.

It is not clear if these songs were present in the United States in
1905. So I am posting this as a datum of uncertain relevance to "whole
nine yards".

Periodical: Journal of the Folk-Song Society
Year: 1905
Number: 7
Volume: 2 (Second Part of Volume 2)
Printed for the Society by Barnicott and Pearce at the Athenaeum Press, Taunton
Song Number 8
Quote Page 87

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433033148838
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433033148838?urlappend=%3Bseq=111

[Begin excerpt]
8.-MADAM, I'LL PRESENT TO YOU THE KEYS OF MY HEART.
Tune noted by C. F. Sharp.
Song by Mrs. Welch, at Ile Bruers, Somerset, Sept. 6th, 1904,
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
He.  Madam, I'll present to you a fine silken gown,
       Nine yards all a-dropping to the ground,
       If thou wilt walk with me.
She. I will not accept a fine silken gown,
       Nine yards all a-dropping to the ground;
       I will not walk with thee.
[End excerpt]

Song Number 9
Quote Page 88
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/inu.30000116749791
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/inu.30000116749791?urlappend=%3Bseq=106

[Begin excerpt]
9.—MY MAN JOHN; OR, MADAM, I'LL PRESENT YOU.
Tune noted by C. J. Sharp.
Sung by Mrs. Glover,
at Huish Episcopi, Somerset, Sept. 6th, 1904.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
He.  Madam, I'll present you with a nice silken gown,
       Nine yards long to drag all on the ground.
       O madam, will you walk with me?
[End excerpt]

Garson