Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be Do"

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon Sep 16 22:01:52 UTC 2013

Your note prompted me to listen to many different versions. Some sounded
like Doodie Doobie Doo, some like Doobie Doodie Doo, and some like Doobie
Doobie Doo. It is of course only the first line, as the other lines go into
other do do's and da's. But I suspect that, in fact I know that, at the
time, the public's perception of what he was saying was Doobie Doobie Doo.
For one thing, there would have been no joke otherwise. Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ksf3Oe8cU. If it is what the marketing
folks at Budweiser picked up on, you can bet it was the popular
interpretation, whether or not such interpretation was always accurate.
DAD

Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be
Do"
---

DAD: Thanks for pointing to Strangers in the Night. I listened to a
youtube version and at the end I heard something that differed
slightly from the canonical rendition in the joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSbSKNk9f0

do de do be do
do do do de dah

I might be mishearing the syllables, or Sinatra might sing different
strings of syllables at different times (or for different songs). Of
course, the joke creators/tellers probably did not examine
Harmonographs.   Garson

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM, David A. Daniel <dad at pokerwiz.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "David A. Daniel" <dad at POKERWIZ.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be
>               Do"

---