Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be Do"

Tue Sep 17 00:00:19 UTC 2013

Thanks for your responses DAD and Wilson. It is interesting, I think,
that sometimes a major personality will be linked to a signature
statement / vocalization that is inaccurate or distorted:

Cary Grant: Judy, Judy, Judy.
James Cagney: You dirty rat.

Cary Grant actually did say "Judy, Judy, Judy" as recorded in the
following youtube clip from the 1980s. But his full statement was "I
never said Judy, Judy, Judy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qPnjcZKC8

In Sinatra's case, DAD notes that sometimes he did say "Doobie Doobie Doo".

A theme of the Quote Investigator website is the fraught relationship
between the public perception of quotations and the written record.
Garson