Quote: Let=?windows-1252?Q?=92s_?=all go to see Miss Hepburn and hear her run the gamut of emotions from A to B! (Jan 6, 1934)

Fri Sep 27 23:56:12 UTC 2013

Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> I have a simpler question: why is the collective form of emotions a gamut,
> and how old is that connection?

The OED has the following for the relevant sense for gamut

gamut, noun
6. The full range or scope of something. Now freq. as the whole gamut
. See also to run the gamut at Phrases.

1753   W. Hogarth Anal. Beauty xii. 97   This shade [i.e. shading]..is
the painter's gamut.

1756   World 6 May 1052   [The words]vastly, horridly, abominably,
immensely or excessively, which, with three or four more.., make up
the whole scale or gamut of modern female conversation.

1799   Anti-Jacobin Rev. 2 App. 568   But this is only ascending a
half-note higher in the gamut of nonsense.

1806   Strictures Establishm. Colleges 44   [They] have learned the
first note in the gamut of blind servile superstition, and there can
be nothing too monstrous for them not to stretch their enslaved minds
to afterwards.

Below is an example in 1837 of "whole gamut of emotions".

Periodical: The New-York Mirror