"croutcatcher" and "hunky"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 28 12:56:13 UTC 2013

In the OED2 sense then, does "hunky dory" have the same meaning as 'hunky'??

--Margaret Lee

________________________________
 From: Joel S. Berson <Berson at ATT.NET>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: "croutcatcher" and "hunky"

Lovely stuff, Bonnie.  Weren't the newspapers fun then (and earlier)?

Considering Artemus Ward's persistent idiosyncratic spelling, I
assume his "croutcutter" is everyone else's "krautcutter".

I noat in passun that his 1866 "hunkiest" is not fir frum his 1861
"hunkey boy", the earliest OED2 citation fir "hunky, adj.1", "In good
condition; safe and sound; all right".

I'll have to poke historians about the surnames.

Joel