"dog whistles"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Apr 5 05:25:32 UTC 2014

If you were going to botanize this device according to traditional rhetorical categories, metonymy seems to me less apt than synecdoche, in its less common meaning of "whole for part.” To qualify as a dog-whistle, a statement has to be ambiguous between a literal meaning and a potential conveyed meaning that the speaker can plausibly deny. That means that both meanings have to be of the same type-- e,g. "hoodie wearers," "food stamp recipients" or "the bling crowd" (once used by National Review) for blacks; "city boy” for Jews, etc. where the denotation of the conveyed meaning is stereotypically a (proper) subset of the denotation of the literal meaning, so that the speaker can disavow the implicature, e.g., "not all hoodie wearers (inner-city inhabitants, etc.) are black.”

So these could be described in classical terms as "potential whole-for-part synecdoches.” But as with euphemism, etc., the speaker’s (real or imputed) motivation is an independently crucial criterion. That is, the figure is designed to avoid unambiguously suggesting certain social attitudes to listeners who disapprove of them (as distinct from euphemisns, which enable the speaker to avoid uttering a coextensive term that some listeners find unsavory).  “Obliquity” conveys one part of this, and “conivinutation” nicely conveys the other, though neither is a word they would let you use on public radio.

Geoff