"to ping" (and OED Online)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 8 16:34:22 UTC 2014

On March 16 Victor noted:

Oxford Dictionaries OL (not OED) has an interesting one for ping:
"Contact a person briefly (especially electronically): he just pinged
me, pointing to a breaking news story "

And this is an extension of the sense offered beginning March 14:

"To ping" -- to signal in an attempt to make a remote communications
connection.  (Moi)

As a verb, _ping_ means "to get the attention of" or "to check for the
presence of" another party on line. The computer acronym (for Packet
Internet or Inter-Network Groper) was contrived to match the submariners'
term for the sound of a returned sonar pulse.  (WhatIs.com, via Wilson)

(Should we call the locating device the "Giant Toad Pinger Groper"?)

Joel