"to ping" (and OED Online)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 8 17:48:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I can't swear to this, but I seem to recall one of her guests chiding
> Crowley gently for  misusing "ping" so gratuitously.
>
> Or maybe it was me.

You're probably remembering this bit, from their aviation expert John Goglia:

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1403/16/sotu.01.html
GOGLIA: -- the signaling device that's located on the unit has about a
30 day battery. So it's going to ping. And I hate to use that word,
because it's been so misused recently.
CROWLEY: Right.