Towards/toward (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 13 06:10:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> Don't many consider Missouri to be in the south because it was a
> slave state?

I don't know, but it seems reasonable that that would be the assumption
made by people who assume that the "peculiar institution" was peculiar to
the Deep South, as racism supposedly is, today. :-(

> O[r], Wilson, did you live in East St. Louis?

Surely, you jest! :-)

You have no way of knowing, of course, Joel, but asking a St. Louisan
whether he's from the East Side is akin to asking a San Franciscan whether
he's from Los Angeles. Back in the day, Chicagoans used to hassle visitors
from StL by asking, "St. Louis? Illinois or Missouri?" as though there
could be any question. The East Side was nothing more than where St.
Louisans went after Missouri closed, at 1:30 am.

Well, it could have been the case that people from the East Side claimed to
Chicagoans that they were from StL., but I don't know. There's a rapper who
proclaims, "I'm from St. Louis, but I'm from the *East* Side!"

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
-----