Towards/toward (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sun Apr 13 15:49:14 UTC 2014

When I was a kiddie living in Chicagoland, we always considered StL to be Midwestern, like us (our big sports rivals, though in the days before the Bulls, I rooted for the Hawks when they were there).  I don't know if we extended that to the whole state, but at least the Northern half and Kansas City, too.  Southern IL, despite a Southern accent, was also Midwestern.  The whole list of states:  ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, MI, IN, and OH.  Some people even included OK, which I would never do.  My wife, from Cleveland, would exclude MO (it's Southern) and the whole ND to KS row (it's Western).  So I wouldn't have been surprised if you didn't have a Southern accent.  I was surprised that people as far north as Terre Haute, IN, never mind Cairo, IL, have one (or at least something transitional).

Paul