slang or flang in 1749?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Apr 16 14:18:25 UTC 2014

Not an OCR error -- EAN has page images.  Nor "slung down her
Trumpet"; it's her Arms that were "slang".

However, my error.  I did not notice the possible rhyme with the next
line's "carelessly hung".  And now the letter I thought was an "a"
looks like a "u".

So -- the "Arms" probably refer not to what's missing in the Venus de
Milo, but to weapons, which Bellona has temporarily "slung" down at
the end of the War of the Austrian Succession.

Joel