Phrase: three sheets in the wind (1812) Modern version: three sheets to the wind

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 16 20:37:17 UTC 2014

Garson beats HDAS by about ten years. Way to go.

I have exx. with two, three, four, and seven sheets "to" or "in" the wind,
though early use prefers "in." "Three" is the usual number.

I found no exx. in ECCO, but the expression seems to have been well known
by the 1820s.

Note that "He's X sheets in the wind" could have meant he *has* as well as
he *is* ....

In Britain I believe it would still be possible to interpret it that way.

JL