query for phrase finders

Thu Apr 17 01:45:33 UTC 2014

Thanks LH. There are so many ways to express the saying that earlier
cites are very likely. The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs has the
saying in an appendix:

Appendix: Some No Longer Modern Proverbs:
A stiff prick has no conscience.

Hence, Charlie and Fred found an instance before 1900. Perhaps a close
match before 1896?
Garson