query for phrase finders

Thu Apr 17 16:21:29 UTC 2014

Meanwhile, a medieval English religious text was called The A*yenbite of
Inwyt*, "transl. of L *remorsus*,
remorse<http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/american/remorse#remorse_1>+
ME *inwyt,
inwit*, conscience, intellect" (per the on-line Collins Dictionary), but
often translated as "The Prick of Conscience".  The phrase (A*yenbite of
Inwyt*) flits through the thoughts of Stephen Daedalus, in *Ulysses.*

The 4th block down shows a suite of windows from an English church, called
"The Prick of Conscience".
http://allsaints-northstreet.org.uk/stainedglass.html

So "A stiff prick has no conscience" was perhaps coined by an impious
lecher, from an established religious expression.

GAT

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> At 4/16/2014 09:23 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>>  Jefferson would best both "Anonymous" and our poor
>> Spermatorrhoetic below, but seems unlikely to have done so.
>>

> Has anyone tried William Byrd?
>
> Joel

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..