_Canvass_ > "examine, pore over, search"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 18 00:14:03 UTC 2014

I disagree. Obviously.

When Coronado was riding around the Southwest, idiom says he was
"exploring" it, not "searching [it] for information."

You can rationalize "canvass the desert" by assuming that it "simply" means
"searching for information," like cops in the neighborhood, but most of the
history of "canvass" involves human-being objects.  "Searching for
information" is a connotation, not a definition of "canvass."

"Canvassed information" of course comes from speech. But you (or at least
I) don't "canvass information," you "canvas people (or places where people
may be interviewed) for information."

The problem is, I believe, a misunderstanding of how dictionary definitions
are derived, what they're intended to convey, and how they relate to one
another.

Of course, it's all moot, since people will write whatever the hell they
want to, whether it makes them sound like bumbling semi-literates or not.
Which is exactly what the writer of "canvassed the desert" sounds like to
some of us, whose opinions are laughable anyway because we're so, so very
old.

Maybe our scribe imagined they were wearing canvas shoes.

It's hot in a %^ *& # $ * desert!

JL